Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Just a little sewing

I've been dying to do some sewing. It's been months since we rearranged the guest bedroom/weight bench/sewing room and I have yet to sit down at my sewing machine. 
As soon as I spotted this DIY maxi dress, I knew I had to try it out! Us short girls can't buy a maxi dress from the store without having to shorten it about 4 inches so I knew this was my solution. I pretty much followed the tutorial step-by-step aside from the elastic thread. Wal-Mart was out, Michaels didn't have any and I wasn't driving across town for elastic thread (mainly because I knew I'd end up buying WAY more). I spent less than $10 on the fabric and the tank top. I'm pretty happy with the results. I ended up not having enough "extra" fabric to create a large waistband tie so I'm still brainstorming solutions for that.
Sorry for the lack of a decent photo, A took this one
Of course I couldn't make a dress just for myself. I made a cheater dress for A. Smocked fabric + ribbon = dress in about 5 minutes! For under $7 A got herself a cute new Hello Kitty dress.
Linking up to Thirty Handmade Days

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed Allison!! Your dress and little mini dress you made turned out beautiful! You have some sewing skills girl :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really do appreciate every one I get!
~Allison