Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cinnamon Sugar Doughnut Muffins

These are not the healthiest muffins around, but they are delicious! Perfect for a weekend breakfast or as a snack (that's how my kids eat them!) and the cinnamon and sugar topping reminds me of the doughnuts you can get at the local fall fair. Not to mention that they make your house smell AMAZING! Yum!
I slightly modified the recipe that I found at Baked Perfection.


2 cups flour (1 cup all purpose, 1 cup whole wheat)
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 large eggs
1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt (I used a non-milk variety for A's allergies)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
4 TBSP oil
1 tsp vanilla


Preheat oven to 400*. Line muffin pan with paper cups (I also made a few minis, perfect for the kids)


Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, sugar, oil and vanilla. Add flour mixture and mix with light strokes until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Don't over mix; batter won't be smooth.


Divide batter among muffins cups and bake until toothpick inserted in one or two come out clean. About 12-15 minutes.


While muffins are baking, melt 1/2 stick butter (I used soy butter) and pace in a bowl just large enough to hold a muffin. Combine 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon in a small shallow bowl. As soon as the muffins are done, dip them once at time in the melted butter and roll in the sugar mixture. {I used tongs so I didn't burn my fingers!} Set on a rack to cool.


Makes 12 standard muffins (plus maybe some minis)


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really do appreciate every one I get!
~Allison