Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Crock Pot Lasagna

No matter how hard you try, getting a nice picture of something in a crock pot is hard! 
Awhile back I pinned a recipe for crock pot lasagna. I tried it once before and I cooked it too long, my noodles were mush. So I went back for round two and a few more recipe alterations. It turned out perfectly!

Here's my recipe:
3 Italian sausages, casing removed
1 jar (26 oz) plus about 1/2 cup of pasta sauce
1 cup of water
16 oz cottage cheese (you can also use ricotta)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
1 egg
1-2 cups of mixed veggies (I used frozen so they wouldn't be over cooked at the end)
8 lasagna noodles (the kind you have to boil, not those no-boil noodles! This is MUY importante! - that's very important for the non-Spanish speakers)


  • Break up and brown your sausage
  • Mix your pasta sauce with water. Tip: Add the water to your jar and swish around to get all the sauce out.
  • Take a potato masher to your cottage cheese to make it like ricotta cheese (it's just the cheaper version!) then add 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and egg. 
  • Add about 1 cup of sauce to the bottom of your crock pot. Break 4 noodles in half and layer on top of the sauce. Add half the cheese mixture. Layer your veggies on next. 
  • Continue layering with another 2 cups of sauce. Add the remaining 4 noodles and remaining cheese mixture. Add your browned sausage on top. 
  • Put remaining sauce on top and the 1/2 cup of remaining mozzarella cheese. 
  • Cook on low for 4 hours. Do not cook longer than this or your noodles will be mush. Nobody likes mushy noodles.
  • Enjoy your yummy lasagna!

The crock pot is my friend, but I just have trouble finding recipes that can stay in for 10+ hours while I'm at work. This one I did on Sunday night for dinner on Monday night. I just plopped my crock pot in the fridge and pulled it out on Monday night and reheated. It was just as good as freshly made! Do you have any crock pot favorites?

Linking up with What I Ate Wednesday and Thirty Handmade Days

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really do appreciate every one I get!
~Allison