Friday, June 29, 2012

A long (but lucky) night

I feel like I relive those hours every time I tell the story and I'm not sure I have the strength to type it all out again. The short story is that I woke up to the smoke alarm just after midnight Thursday morning ... our deck was almost engulfed in flames. After many hours with the fire department and trying to get some sleep through the worry, this is what the back of our house looks like.
We are very lucky! The fire only damaged one wall of our home so we are still able to live here without any major hazards. Everyone is still a little on edge after the incident. And A is still worried about her toys that were on the deck that are now gone. 


She is worried that her 5th birthday party that we are having on Sunday is ruined. I don't know how to make her fears go away, but I do know how lucky we are. I've heard too many stories of families losing everything, including their loved ones, that I know we are lucky. We are going to be ok. The deck can be rebuilt, the wall can be rebuilt and our insurance will cover the costs. 


I keep thinking "damn I've been unlucky lately! first my car now my house", but then I realize that both situations could've been MUCH worse. I feel lucky. I still have my family. I still have my house. We are going to be ok.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Allison! I saw you were the closest blogger to me on the map from "Whispering Sweet Nothings", so I thought I'd jump in and say hello. I'm so sorry about your fire, did they find out what caused it?
    Glad you and your family are okay.

    If you get a chance, stop in and say hi to me at my blog, Nowhere to Go But Crazy
    http://www.taradennyimages.com

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. Do you know what caused it? I'm sorry this happened but at the same time I am super glad it did not get worse. You and your loved ones are fine which means everything will be a-okay. Smile! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really do appreciate every one I get!
~Allison